So awhile ago I made ‘Tofu Sloppy Jo’s.’ I wanted to re-create the recipe by making them more spicy & serving the filling in yellow corn tortillas for some yummy tacos.
They turned out great!
I love this recipe because it is…
- quick & easy to make
Spicy Tofu Filling (great for tacos or on a bun!)
- 1/2 block firm tofu
- 1/2 c fresh chopped bell pepper or 1/4 c canned & diced green chiles
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 T liquid aminos
- 2 T organic ketchup
- 1 T dijon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (adjust to your desired spice level)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium temperature & add in your tofu.
- Chop your tofu with a spatula into tiny pieces.
- Add the rest of your ingredients to the skillet/pan & stir.
- Cover your skillet & allow to cook on medium to low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm in yellow corn tortillas or on a whole-grain sprouted bun with desired toppings. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, snap a pic & hashtag it #thekellydiet @thekellydiet- I love seeing your creations on Instagram, Pinterest & Facebook!
What will you make with this filling?!
Does anyone else have herbs growing this summer? I live in an apartment so on our balcony we have fresh herbs growing in railing planters. The ones I use the most are dill, basil, mint, and of course cilantro. I think tacos are always best topped with some fresh cilantro.
I love vegan meat alternatives. Smokey maple bacon tempeh, Italian seitan, peanut butter tofu… yum.
For dinner last night I decided to make some tacos and had tofu on hand, so that’s what I went with and it turned out great! Of course I tried to make veggies the main ingredient 🙂
Spicy Tofu Tacos
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- Small handful snap peas, broken in half
- 1/4 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 T chili powder
- 1/2 T paprika
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1/3 black firm tofu, drained & rinsed
- Juice of one lime
- 4 low carb, high protein & fiber tortilla – fajitas
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Red pepper flakes
- Nutritional yeast
- Heat a little olive or avocado oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the peppers, carrots, snap peas and red onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
- While that is cooking add the tomatoes to a blender. Blend into a tomato sauce, leaving it a bit chunky.
- Add the chili powder, paprika and Himalayan salt to the pan. Saute for another minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and crumble in the tofu. Cover and simmer until the liquid reduces and is mostly adsorbed (about 13 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and stir.
- Heat tortillas in a pan on each side, on medium heat, for about 10 – 15 seconds.
- Scoop a bit of the filling into each warm tortilla.
- Sprinkle with a few red pepper flakes and some nooch / nutritional yeast. Top with a bit of thinly sliced avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Serve Immediately. Enjoy!
Try it out, adjust it, let me know what you think or how you made it your own!