I know there are some tofu haters.
Why? Because tofu is made from soy. Some studies say that the majority of the time soy is bad for you.
But there are also facts that tofu is good for you because it:
- is a great source of protein.
- contains all 8 essential amino acids.
- is a great source of nutrients such as iron, calcium, B1 & more.
So what do we do? Eat tofu or avoid it?
For myself, I have decided to use it on occasion.
I go through about 1-2 blocks of tofu per month. 1 block usually for meals, like my Tofu Sloppy Joes, & 1 block for snacks & deserts.
There is one thing that is for sure. Each time I cook or bake with tofu, my food turns out delicious! And these Lemon Poppyseed Tofu Cheesecakes are no exception 🙂
Lemon Poppyseed Tofu Cheesecake (Raw & Baked version)
- 300 g firm* tofu (about 3/4 of a box)
- 1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 c unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- 2 scoops vegan vanilla protein powder (I used 22 Days Nutritions)
- Juice from one lemon
- 2 T poppy seeds
- I would imagine that silken tofu would yield just as good or even better results, but I have not tried yet.
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Add everything, except your poppy seeds, to a food processor.
- Process until combined.
- Add in poppy seeds. Process only for about 3-5 additional seconds.
- Spray one small tart tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Optional Crust: In a small bowl mix 1/2 c oats with 1/4 c unsweetened apple sauce & a dash of cinnamon.
- Pour oat mixture into bottom of tin & smooth.
- Pour some of the tofu batter on top. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Pour the rest of the tofu batter into bowls or jars, cover & refrigerate to enjoy raw!
What do you like better? The baked or raw version?
If you make this recipe, snap a pic & hashtag it #thekellydiet @thekellydiet- I love seeing your creations on Instagram, Pinterest & Facebook!