So I came up with these ‘Healthier Chocolate Cinnamon Roles’ about a month ago & craved them ever since. This past weekend I made them again but modified the recipe slightly to make them more moist. I also added pumpkin seeds for a little crunch & texture!
So, it’s up to you what recipe you follow. If you like your Cinnamon Roles a little more dry keep it at 1 – 1 1/4 c water. If you like them more moist, add 1/4 c more water or melted coconut oil to your dough. Be careful however not to overdo it. You don’t want the dough to be wet.
Whole- Wheat Chocolate Cinnamon Roles
- 3 C sprouted whole wheat flour + extra for dusting
- 1 1/2 C warm water (or 1 1/4 c warm water + 1/4 c melted coconut oil)
- 1/2 C + 2 T raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 C raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 oz vegan chocolate, melted
- 2 T coconut oil, melted
- 2 T ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Spray an 8×8 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small blow mix the yeast, water & 2 T of your honey or maple syrup.
- Wait 5 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- In a large bowl add your flour, salt, & yeast mixture. Start kneading with your hands or with your mixer’s dough hook.
- Adjust water/flour as needed. Your dough should be just slightly sticky.
- Knead the dough with your hands for an extra minute & then let sit for 20 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl add the rest of your honey or maple syrup, melted chocolate, melted coconut oil, cinnamon & vanilla. Whisk until combined. Fold in your pumpkin seeds.
- Split your dough into 3 small balls. Roll each with a rolling pin until flat.
- Distribute & spread your chocolate filling on each flat.
- Fold each flat in half & cut in half lengthwise. Now twist each piece up into a bun.
- Place each bun next to each other in your pan. Sprinkle with a few additional seeds.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy warm right out of the oven after slightly cooled; or if eating later toast in your toaster oven for 1-2 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, snap a pic & hashtag it #thekellydiet @thekellydiet- I love seeing your creations on Instagram, Pinterest & Facebook!
How do you eat your Cinnamon Roles?!