Yes these are delicious 🙂
I could toast one of these up every day for a dessert & be extremely satisfied. These Cinnamon Buns are chocolaty, soft, healthy & sweet tooth satisfying.
One thing that makes this dessert healthier is that they are made with organic sprouted whole wheat flour.
I love sprouted grains because sprouting changes the composition of the resulting flour. It results in the creation of a vegetable & not a starch! There are many benefits to eating a sprouted grain over a non-sprouted.
So give these a try! I promise you & anyone you share them with won’t be disappointed 🙂 Who would pass up a healthier, warm chocolaty pastry???
Whole- Wheat Chocolate Cinnamon Buns
- 3 C sprouted whole wheat flour + extra for dusting
- 1 1/4 C warm water
- 1/2 C + 2 T raw honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 C chopped pistachios, optional*
- 2 oz vegan chocolate, melted
- 2 T coconut oil, melted
- 2 T ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
*I wanted to add these to my buns but didn’t have any on hand.
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Spray an 8×8 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small blow mix the yeast, water & 2 T of your honey or maple syrup.
- Wait 5 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- In a large bowl add your flour, salt, & yeast mixture. Start kneading with your hands or with your mixer’s dough hook.
- Adjust water/flour as needed. Your dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Knead the dough with your hands for an extra minute & then let sit for 20 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl add the rest of your honey or maple syrup, melted chocolate, melted coconut oil, cinnamon & vanilla. Whisk until combined. Fold in your nuts if using.
- Split your dough into 3 small balls. Roll each with a rolling pin until flat.
- Distribute & spread your chocolate filling on each flat.
- Fold each flat in half & cut in half lengthwise. Now twist each piece up into a bun.
- Place each bun next to each other in your pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy warm right out of the oven after slightly cooled; or if eating later toast in your toaster oven for 1-2 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, snap a pic & hashtag it #thekellydiet @thekellydiet- I love seeing your creations on Instagram, Pinterest & Facebook!
I think this recipe deserves a foot five!