I don’t mean to insult the Mexican cuisine by naming this a Mexican Crockpot. I realize it’s a very Americanized version of calling something Mexican. So yes this is an American calling their food Mexican but I thought it described the dish best so please don’t be insulted 🙂
Making lunches for the whole work week is a hassle. To make it easier on myself I usually make a big crockpot to use as my lunches for the week. Sure by the 4th or 5th day you may get sick of it, but that’s a great day to pick something up or go out to lunch. Only buying lunch once a week… not bad for a tight budget & healthy life-style!
This recipe is very easy. Use it solely as a guideline. Remove any veggies, spices or grains you don’t like & add any in that you do! For example I’ve made similar crockpots adding quinoa & zucchini & using enchilada sauce instead of salsa.
Healthy Mexican Crockpot
- 1 14 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 1/2 c corn (I used a bag of frozen organic corn)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 5 c sweet potato chunks (I also took the easy way out here using a bag of pre-chopped organic sweet potato)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast/nooch
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 c salsa
- 3/4 c veggie broth
- Avocado slices
- Simply add all ingredients (except your toppings) to a crockpot.
- Stir & cook on high heat for 3 hours.
- Enjoy right away or use crockpot as a food prep. Top with desired toppings. Enjoy!
Make sure to try & fit some time in your day for exercise. Fuel your body right, exercise it & remember to be good to your head space.