So I know the concept of the ‘Carrot Dog’ sounds ridiculous. I am a veggie lover & even I didn’t try it when this first became a hit. I am here to tell you that it’s true, the Carrot Dog is amazing! It really tastes like a hot dog- in a good way 🙂
Some things I would recommend:
- Make sure you cook it until it is soft throughout. At my second attempt of the carrot dog I didn’t steam it long enough & it was not as good.
- I suggest marinating it for 24 hrs or overnight. Some recipes say 4 hrs but I think the longer the better.
- Have fun with it! I used an eggplant, flatout & sweet potato as a bun for it. All were delicious!
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 c water
- 3T Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 T dijon mustard
- 3/4 water
- Cut off ends of carrots & peel.
- Place carrots into a pan with the 1/2 c water. Cover with a lid & simmer for 15 minutes or until very soft, like a hot dog.
- While that is cooking mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl or tupperware that will fit your carrots.
- Place your steamed carrots into the mixture. Cover & place in the fridge to marinate overnight.
- Before eating place everything, including the marinade back into the pan. Cover & simmer for another 15 minutes or until soft through. Enjoy!
Bun Ideas: I used a roasted eggplant, Flatout’s Rosemary & Olive Oil flat, & a baked sweet potato. All were excellent!
What bun will you use?!