Briefly describe yourself:
- Dog lover (specifically my own dog, Batman)
- Health nut
- Wannabe Yogi & Rock Climber
- Baking addict
- Veggie advocate
Vegetables can’t talk so I promote their greatness! I don’t think my spirit animal is an animal at all, it’s probably a carrot.
How am I a veggie advocate?
- Even if I do not know you, I will tell you to eat a carrot.
- I will tell you to eat less meat.
- I will tell you to not disrespect a vegetable by frying it.
- I will tell you that ALL vegetables are yummy. If you don’t like a vegetable you probably aren’t preparing it correctly. Who likes the taste of raw broccoli? Steam or roast that puppy!
- Still drinking soda (regular or diet)?
- Still eating ‘diet’ labeled foods?
- Eating meat?
- Smoking cigarettes?
Well knock it off, it’s 2017. We know what will kill us.
Now that I’ve gotten that off my mind, let’s talk about adding veggies to our morning!
So, I am currently obsessed with Cauliflower Overnight Oats. I love experimenting with food, so I usually make a variety of breakfasts in a given week. Since creating this, I have eaten a variation of Cauliflower Oatmeal every work day for the past 2 months… So yes, it’s good.
Why is it awesome?
- I love quantity. Because you are replacing some oats with a vegetable that has been broken down into tiny granules, you can add a lottt of it.
- It adds veggies to your morning.
- You can food prep it for the whole week ahead.
*Think of this recipe as regular overnight oats & all the different ways you can make it. I want you to make it your own by adding whatever fruit, spices or other combinations you enjoy the most.
Basic Cauliflower Overnight Oats
- 1 c cauliflower rice
- 1/4 c oats
- 1/3 c unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based milk of choice)
Optional Add-ins (while cooking):
- 1 scoop plant based protein powder – I like Orgain
- 1/4 – 1/3 c organic plain or non-dairy yogurt (Top & stir in after cooking & slightly cooled)
- 1/2 T pure maple syrup
- Half a ripe banana, mashed
- Shredded zucchini
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Cinnamon to taste
A few flavor Ideas:
- Any fruit you have on hand, chopped
- Carrot Cake: 1/4 c shredded carrots, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 nutmeg, crushed walnuts
- PB, Banana: 1 T Nut Butter, 1/2 sliced banana
- Maple & Cinnamon: 1/2 T pure maple syrup, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla, crushed pecans
- Pumpkin Pie: 2 T Pumpkin Puree, 1/2 T pure maple syrup, 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Add all base ingredients to a small sauce pan.
- Bring to medium heat.
- Stir & simmer for about 12-15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Allow to cool slightly then add in desired flavors & enjoy warm.
Food Prep: I recommend multiplying the recipe by 5 & cooking up a big pot for breakfast all week!
4. Allow mixture to cool & transfer to a jar or container
5. Add in optional flavors
6. Top with the yogurt (optional)
7. Seal & refrigerate.
8. Grab before you leave in the morning. Stir in the yogurt before eating. Enjoy cold.
Before we get to recipe #2, here is a picture of my veggie lover dog eating some cauliflower rice.
- 1 c cauliflower rice
- 1/2 scoop plant-based vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Bowl/ Add ins:
- Organic plain greek or non-dairy yogurt
- Almond butter
- Steam cauliflower rice until tender. (I steamed mine on medium heat for about 5 minutes)
- Add to a blender along with the rest of the porridge ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Allow to cool slightly & then create a Breakfast Bowl with desired add ins! I paired mine next to organic plain greek yogurt, topped with raspberries & almond butter & sprinkled with a bit more nutmeg. Enjoy!
What flavors will you make?!