Happy Friday! Before this long holiday weekend I wanted to send you on your way inspired to create some healthy juices.
I like to make both smoothies & juices as they offer different health benefits.
- Juicing extracts water & nutrients from produce & removes the indigestible fiber. Without all the fiber, your digestive system doesn’t have to work as hard to break down the food & absorb the nutrients. This makes the nutrients more readily available to the body & in much larger quantities than if you were to eating them whole.
- Smoothies use the entire fruit or vegetable, which includes the fiber. Due to the absorbed fiber, smoothies tend to be more filling.
I use only vegetables in my juices because I don’t want the added sugar & when you remove the fiber from the produce, the liquid juice is absorbed into your blood stream rapidly. Juicing fruits causes a spike in blood sugar.
Just because I use only vegetables, does NOT mean my juices taste bad!
Let me share some of my tips on making a yummy veggie juice.
- Use cilantro or mint. In my juices which makes about 3 mason jars of juice, I use almost a whole cup of either fresh cilantro or mint.*
- Add one whole lemon & lime.
- Add a thumb of ginger root**
- Use cucumber, celery, or cabbage in all of your juices as they provide the most liquid.
*Mint & cilantro offer many health benefits, they aren’t just for taste. Mint benefits include proper digestion & weight loss, relief from nausea, depression, fatigue & headache , treatment of asthma & memory loss. Cilantro rids the body of heavy metals, helps with stress, lowers anxiety, improves sleep, protects against colon cancer & neurological inflammation.
**GINGER… I LOVEEEE ginger.
My favorite benefit not listed, is that ginger has been thought to be a mood booster. I add it to my juices & smoothies & grate about 1 T of ginger root into my veggies while sauteing them.
Here is a simple veggie juice recipe that you can modify as desired:
- 2 large cucumbers
- A package of celery
- 1/3 head of purple cabbage
- 1 red beet
- 1 golden beet
- 1 c or package of fresh mint or cilantro
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 thumb ginger
- Simply add veggies at a time to the juicer & press. (Be careful with the cabbage. I have noticed that it can clog my juicer, so I clean out the chamber once or twice while adding the cabbage.)
- Add the juice to mason jars or another seal-able container & store in the fridge. I like to drink my juice within 5 days for best results. Enjoy!
What veggies do you like in your juice?!