Does anyone else have herbs growing this summer? I live in an apartment so on our balcony we have fresh herbs growing in railing planters. The ones I use the most are dill, basil, mint, and of course cilantro. I think tacos are always best topped with some fresh cilantro.
I love vegan meat alternatives. Smokey maple bacon tempeh, Italian seitan, peanut butter tofu… yum.
For dinner last night I decided to make some tacos and had tofu on hand, so that’s what I went with and it turned out great! Of course I tried to make veggies the main ingredient 🙂
Spicy Tofu Tacos
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- Small handful snap peas, broken in half
- 1/4 medium red onion, diced
- 1/2 T chili powder
- 1/2 T paprika
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1/3 black firm tofu, drained & rinsed
- Juice of one lime
- 4 low carb, high protein & fiber tortilla – fajitas
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Red pepper flakes
- Nutritional yeast
- Heat a little olive or avocado oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the peppers, carrots, snap peas and red onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
- While that is cooking add the tomatoes to a blender. Blend into a tomato sauce, leaving it a bit chunky.
- Add the chili powder, paprika and Himalayan salt to the pan. Saute for another minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and crumble in the tofu. Cover and simmer until the liquid reduces and is mostly adsorbed (about 13 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and stir.
- Heat tortillas in a pan on each side, on medium heat, for about 10 – 15 seconds.
- Scoop a bit of the filling into each warm tortilla.
- Sprinkle with a few red pepper flakes and some nooch / nutritional yeast. Top with a bit of thinly sliced avocado and fresh cilantro.
- Serve Immediately. Enjoy!
Try it out, adjust it, let me know what you think or how you made it your own!